I haven’t had much time for blogging lately because Pata was home sick from preschool for over a month. She went back late last week, and since then I’ve been trying to catch up on all the projects I had to put aside while she was home. I always forget that I have a large collection of pictures from various travels that I’ve never written about, which I could use for photo posts to keep the blog current when I’m not able to write.
One of the projects I’ve been working on is Pata’s Carnival costume. I’ve known since late December that she wanted to be Little Red Riding Hood, but money has been so tight that we have very little to spend on it. The dress and apron were easy enough; I was able to make them from things I already had. For the dress, I used some scraps of pinwale corduroy and an old pair of wool trousers N doesn’t wear anymore. I originally envisioned a dirndl with a full skirt, but having only two trouser legs of wool to work with, I had to make do with five gores. I made the peasant blouse especially for the costume from some very nice cotton damask that the aunt gave me years ago. The apron is positively luxurious compared to the rest of the costume; I made it with some very precious printed cotton eyelet and red linen that I bought some time ago with other projects in mind, but I was able to use a small enough amount of both that I should still be able to make what I intended with them.
I still haven’t made the cape. I have a nice red Christmas tablecloth that I think will have to sacrifice itself. I’ve been putting off cutting it in the hopes of finding something big, red, and inexpensive at the used clothing and linen stalls at the weekly market, but that hasn’t happened, and Carnival is just over a week away. I think the tablecloth will look much nicer on Pata than it ever did on our dining room table anyway.